The breath is linked to our automatic nervous system. Daily breathing practices activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which is associated with resting and digesting i.e. a more peaceful mind and body.
Here are some health benefits of breathing :
- Decrease anxiety & depression.
- Increases happiness and optimism.
- Improve sleep.
- Strengthen our ability to regulate emotions.
- Improve trauma symptoms.
- Reduce impulsivity, cravings & addictions.
- Decrease stress & regulates our body’s level of cortisol.
- Strengthen our immunity by altering genes responsible for stronger immunity.
- Reduce pain and activation of pain centers on the brain.
Kabat-Zinn makes clear the powerful connection between meditation and breathing when he writes, “The breath is the current connecting body and mind…It is the current of life.” Meditative breathing is a way to connect with the here and now, which is life.
There is a difference between being anxious about an event and the feeling of just being anxious. This article helps provide some background on types of anxiety and advice on how your anxiety can be managed. Hope it helps!